New Scale Technologies has introduced two new motor controllers for its miniature piezoelectric Squiggle motors
Both offer on-board electronics for closed-loop control of the company's patented linear motors.
The miniature controllers are suitable for Squiggle motor evaluation, for integration into OEM medical instruments, and for use as reference designs for OEM systems.
The MC-3000 and MC-1000HR controllers generate ultrasonic-frequency electronic signals to drive Squiggle motors.
Both controllers accept position feedback from commercially available analog or digital position sensors, allowing complete closed-loop control of Squiggle motors.
Users can easily control motor direction and speed (from micrometres to millimetres per second), move to a target position, move a specified distance, and numerous other functions.
Squiggle motor position resolution as small as 20nm; closed-loop position resolution is determined by the resolution of the position sensor and A/D converter.
The controllers ship with New Scale's motor control software for easy evaluation of Squiggle motors via the Windows PC user interface.
An ActiveX control is included, and may be integrated into other applications written in languages such as C++ or Visual Basic.
The controllers can also accept ASCII commands or input from an optional manual handset.
Documentation describes the low-level ASCII control codes that an embedded system or microcontroller would send to a motor control chip.
The new MC-3000 motor controller drives the tiny SQL-1.5 Squiggle motor, the world's smallest linear motor.
Each MC-3000 controller runs two motors in open-loop or closed-loop configuration.
- Motor compatibility - Two SQL-1.5 Squiggle motors.
- Input voltage - 3.3 to 5.5 VDC.
- Input power - 1650 mW while driving two motors simultaneously.
- Position sensor input - Analogue (12-bit A/D converter) or digital input.
- Computer interface - USB interface for PC (Windows XP or Vista).
- Other interfaces - RS-485 interface for ASCII commands or optional manual handset.
- Dimensions - 1.150 x 2.275 x 0.875inches.
The MC-1000HR motor controller is a high-resolution version of the original MC-1000 controller for SQL-3.4 and SQ-100 Series linear Squiggle motors.
Each controller runs one motor in open-loop or closed-loop configuration.
- Motor compatibility - One SQL-3.4 or SQ-100 Series Squiggle motor.
- Input voltage - 5 to 12 VDC with SQL-3.4 motor (24 VDC with SQ-100 motor).
- Maximum current - 300 mA.
- Position sensor input - Analog (16-bit A/D converter) or digital input.
- Computer interface - RS-232 interface for PC ( Windows XP or Vista).
- Other interfaces - RS-485 interface for ASCII commands or optional manual handset .
- Dimensions - 2 x 3inches (height depends on motor model).
Evaluation kits - including a Squiggle motor, motor controller, control software, AC power adapter and cables - are available now starting at USD650 for qualified OEMs.
New Scale offers significant discounts for larger quantities.
The compamy also works with OEM customers to design application-specific modules with integrated motors, controllers, mounts or housings, and position sensors.