Siemens has improved its RAPIDPoint 500 blood gas analyser by adding pleural fluid pH testing capabilities.
The improvement is hoped to provide clinicians, laboratories and point-of-care coordinators with an important new diagnostic tool for use in critical care situations.
Pleural fluid effusions may be a symptom of underlying illness such as heart failure, pulmonary embolism, cancer and kidney disease.
When a patient’s pleural fluid pH is less than 7.30 (normal pleural fluid pH is estimated at 7.64), it may suggest the presence of an inflammatory or infiltrative process.
While these measurements can be taken using pH meters or indicator sticks, multiple studies have shown these methods to be less accurate than readings conducted using a blood gas analyser.
Siemens’ RAPIDPoint 500 system includes tests for blood gases, electrolytes, glucose and lactate and full CO-oximetry, including total neonatal bilirubin.
- Full test menu results from a single sample in approximately 60 seconds
- Easy-to-use, maintenance-free cartridge-based system is ideal for non-laboratory personnel
- Proven technologies and design features maximize analyzer uptime and simplify compliance
- Speed and flexibility to increase productivity without increasing staff workload
- Seamless LIS/HIS integration with optional connectivity to the RAPIDComm® Data Management System
To download the RAPIDPoint 500 product brochure, please click on the link above.