As well as the ability to create large volumes of lyophilised product, lyobeads from Biopharma Group offer a range of benefits to the diagnostics sector.
Lyobeads are customisable lyophilised spheres in the range of 5 to 30 μL, which are typically produced for high throughput manufacturing in the diagnostic sector. The frozen beads are initially obtained through snap freezing by using liquid nitrogen. This step is followed by the ‘actual’ drying. The process is often conducted in bulk, which allows for achieving large quantities of lyobeads – up to millions – per week.
Benefits of lyobeads include:
- Improved reconstitution: The spherical shape allows a fast and homogeneous reconstitution.
- They can be customised for specific applications by incorporating different reagents.
- Lyobeads are stable at room temperature and can be stored for extended periods of time, making them suitable for use in remote or resource-limited settings.
- As lyobeads have a larger surface area and lower volumes than traditional freeze-dried cakes, the lyophilisation process is generally quicker and more efficient.
- They can be produced in large quantities, making them suitable for high-throughput diagnostic applications.
Biopharma Group has supported various diagnostic companies across the world by providing both R&D and production services, both remotely and within Biopharma’s low bioburden laboratory under ISO13485 accreditation.
The company’s lyo specialists can help with the design and development of both bespoke formulations and lyo processes to offer a complete end-to-end lyobead production line. Contact the team to discuss your requirements.